We want to share the signs that we used to protest Dean's visit to Charlotte on July 25. Some of you going to Denver might want to make use of them. You can use them without handles but the instructions include them. Here's how:
The Boards: We used foamcore which you can get at Target where they sell the school supplies in a 20x30 inch size. This size is difficult to use for any length of time because of the weight and any wind will strain your arms, so we trimmed it.
- trim board to 18x 23 3/4 inches. Use two straight cuts
- for the first cut, cut through the cover on one side fold back, then through the cover on the reverse side.
The Graphics: These are cropped to be used in a color printer use Microsoft Picture Manager under Microsoft Office Tools and use the fax print out wizard function. Use standard letter size paper.There will be four print outs for each sign:
The Handles purchase a length of lath at your local hardware/lumber yard . These should be cut long enough to give support to the back of the sign and the handle length you desire.
The Cover Clear contac paper, also available in Target and probably lots of other places. It keeps the sign in place on the foam board and makes it water proof. The sign will last for several days this way.
Tools Computer with Microsoft Office program and color printer. Exacto Knife, or Wall paper trimmer,or carpet knife and straight edge.Spray adhesive (alternate: glue stick), scrap book trimmer and scissors, colored markers, workshop staple gun and staples. Scissors.
- Trim board to ideal size
- Print out graphic and trim. (a scrap book trimmer is the best if you have one)
- Using spray adhesive, lightly spray foam core board face (we find this is best becasue you can easily repostion the paper. I have also used glue sticks)
- Position graphic by lining it up as best you can. Gaps can be colored in with magic marker. You will not notice small mistakes from a distance so perfection is not necessary.
- Cover front of board with clear contac paper
- Line up handle behing sign, staple through face of sign to attach, You may want to glue and staple the handle if you want more stability but we find that staples work very well.
We also have the heat transfer graphics used for the shirts. Pre wash T shirt to improve transfer and follow the instructions on the iron on transfer instruction sheet. These are available in many stores. The graphics for transfers are already reversed.
T shirt Transfers:
DUMP DEAN Download transfer_sticker.bmp
Hillary on the Ballot Download hillary_on_the_ballot_transfer.bmp
Hillary in Nomination Download hillary_in_nomination_transfer.bmp
Puma logo Download puma_transfer.bmp