In the dog walking and pet sitting business we walk all sizes! Size of the dog shouldn't matter if the dog is trained properly and you have your pet in a walking routine:
Dog Walking Tips
- Pick up your lead or leash. This signals to the dog it is time to go outside for the walk. I like to say "leash" in the way some people might say "party time".
- Literally lead your dog to the door, and tell him to "sit" or "wait". This also trains your dog to calmly sit and not barge in front of you when the doorbell rings.
- Make sure you walk out the door with the dog behind you.
- Carry water,a pooper scooper, or "doodie bags".
- If your dog is new to "walking",use a pincher collar until he is trained and socialized. Assume there will be unexpected lunges or attempts to lead you.
- Always keep the dog behind you or at your side. If the dog persists in leading, stop moving until you are in the lead.
- Take rests. Dogs don't sweat, but cool off by panting or going for a dip in the nearest place of water.
- When you return home, make sure the dog sits still until you have removed the leash. Before long, these habits will become routine, and you will both be simply enjoying a good healthy walk.
For your pet sitting or dog walking needs in Charlotte, N.C., call Merry Murphy Pet Sitters at 704-246-4148.