I have a special place in my heart for older pets. Most of us develop an interest in caring for them usually due to the fact we accompanied these companions of ours from the beginning of their journey in this world until their very end. Older pets do have special needs, but there are many advantages to adopting an older pet if you are considering rescuing a pet.
Here are ten reasons to consider adopting an older pet from The Senior Dogs Project :
- Older dogs are housetrained. Something to think about if you aren't home all day.
- Older dogs won't chew inappropriate things...such as teething on furniture legs.
- Older dogs can focus and learn new tricks. Believe me-they have mellowed and listen.
- Older dogs have learned the word "no"...that's why they have lived to be older dogs.
- Older dogs are good at giving love. They will notice they have been given a second chance.
- What you see is what you get: No surprises in the development of personality.
- Older dogs are instant companions: ready for hiking,car traveling, and etc.
- Older dogs give you time to yourself. They aren't needy as are puppies.
- Older dogs let you sleep. They adjusted to human schedules long ago. No midnight bathroom breaks etc.
Sounds good doesn't it?